Thursday, August 6, 2009

IT'S IN MY BONES

Often times I stand in front of my mirror to see if I could catch a glimpse of my ancestors as though their reflection would suddenly appear in the background behind my image. Of course I can see my physical resemblances of my parents, grandparents, and siblings, but what about the originals whose shoulders I stand on today who gave their lives to elevate me. What do they look like, what were their values, and accomplishments.

TRAIL BLAZER




In looking at my family history, I find many accomplishments from as early as the 1800's, where my Great Uncle James Carroll Napier co-founded the first savings and loan in Tennessee, which is now the Citizens Bank in Tennessee.








Did you know, that there were five African- Americans whose signatures appeared on U.S. Currency? Here is the best part, my great uncle James Carroll Napier was one of them! The other three were Blanche K. Bruce, Judson W. Lyons, and William T. Vernon and the only female Azie Taylor Morton. These distinguished African Americans served as Registers of the Treasury. Today the $2.00 Silver Certificate where my Great Uncle's signature appears is a rare collectors items worth $1999.





Great Uncle James Carroll Napier
















My great grandmother S0phie Napier Watkins was the niece of James Carroll Napier and was the Cook at the Helen Keller estate, during Helen's youth. Because of the perseverance of my cousin Thomas McKnight she is now being honored by having her picture posted at the "cooks" house at the Keller museum in Tuscumbia, Alabama. Today when I have the opportunity to watch the movie "The Miracle Worker", staring Pattie Duke and Ann Sullivan, I still cry because I am able to visualize their presence there. My great grandfather, Sophie's husband was a preacher, a self sustaining black man in Alabama - imagine that!




(See article)http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20081013/ARTICLES/810130317/0/NEWS#



Sometimes when speaking with my peers, the conversation would always come around to heritage. Some people would say they were part Irish, or German, part this, part that, and I would respond by saying I am part "everything". I started out African and finished African American. What that means is I am all nationalities; I come from many, and yet know of a few. However the few I do know have touched the lives of others through their works, and their tenacity to excel in adverse conditions.





They were cooks, bankers, preachers, and maybe even Kings of their beloved Africa. They suffered much, achieved more, and left a resounding message to their decedents that all things are possible, never give up, and make your own dreams come true.

I live by that credo when working with my clients in real estate, I believe in honesty, hard work and integrity and never giving up. So when I look in the mirror, I do see their reflection in everything I do, because after all it is in my blood, it is my heritage, and is a legacy I will not let die because .......

IT'S IN MY BONES.












































































































































http://www.usrarecurrency.com/1899$2SilverCertificateFR253CGACU64SnE57082746.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment